Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New External Hard Drive


For a while now I've been in the market for an external hard drive. There are two main reasons that brought this idle thought of wanting one into actually going the extra mile and buying one. The first is my terminally ill Dell desktop in the other room, she's been through good times and bad with me but it finally seems that her old age is catching up to her. Ever since my trip she's been going super slow and freaking out at the most basic of functions which has really scared me because all of my music is homed. Granted its not a large amount of music, certainly not compared to most computer nerds of the day, but its music I've had since the late '90s and its very near and dear to me especially since I don't have a lot of the cds I once had.

The other main motivator for my somewhat large purchase is the recent death of my good friends computer. His was about the same age as my old Dell but he's actually taken care of it, and to be honest used it much more than I had. Hearing of all the data he lost freaked me out just enough to want to save my meager amount of data as well. I did a bit of research, checking out Newegg.com and various other tech sites to try and find something decent and it seems I have. Granted I'm not too technologically savvy, especially in the actual computer parts area, but I think the Western Digital My Book is perfect for me. I was at first going to get a 250 gig My Passport from Newegg for $99 but a rather unplanned visit to Best Buy turned into a money saver. Its rather strange that I found such a good deal at a normal store, most of the time the best deals are to be found online. Today was, perhaps, just a fluke but I'm not going to complain about getting a 500 gig My Book for $99, twice as big and from what I've heard the My Books are better than the My Passports. Sure its not a Terabyte, but honestly, I think 500 gigs is more than enough for my word docs, music, and pictures. And if I do end up needing more they're easy to sync together so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to work out.

Well this is kinda a change from my usual blog posts, but I figure I need to write more in general so I'll write whatever comes to mind. After all the more you write, the more experience you get, and experience is what separates a great writer with a run of the mill Joe such as myself.

0 comments: