Thursday, October 11, 2012

goodreads



It seems that my bibliophilic ways have at last lead me to the social network for books: goodreads. That being said, I have been aware of goodreads now for quite a while, but between my own massive database and organization structure I haven't been all that interesting in signing up. Having worked at B&N for a while now (and Borders for 4 and a half years before that) I've come into meeting a whole host of different authors  from George R. R. Martin to Brandon Sanderson to a dude that was convinced he had caught a Chupacabra. As such I've also become more and more interested in the people behind my favorite books which then led me to contacting Brent Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss, and holding a fascinating conversation with Melinda Snodgrass and Ian Tregillis. One of the things many of these authors have in common is goodreads accounts, sure they update mostly the same things on Facebook, but I soon realized that Rothfuss, while posting many of his reviews on his amazing blog, he more on his account at GR.

As such, I now have an account and far from being the cumbersome interface I thought it was, it's a rather interesting and well thought out design. Indeed, while I will continue to post longer more thorough reviews here, I have started to post comments and thoughts while I've been reading in their status system. This is neat because 70 pages in I might experience something worth mentioning, but if the book is 600+ pages it may not end up in the final review. Plus it has been interesting to see how my thoughts and ideas about the book change as I read. The other thing is that it's kick started me back into actually writing blogs, for a while there I was lacking motivation, but for whatever reason, writing up some shorter book reviews over there has inspired me! We shall of course see how long that lasts, but in any case go check out my goodreads account and expect some more stuff up here as well! Also reviews and such that I do here will be longer and have more details, for what that's worth anyway.

Next time I shall talk about my lovely experience at Albuquerque's very own literary convention Bubonicon. Also I shall offer up some more thoughts on Mr. Martin after actually reading the first three books, so look forward to that as well.

0 comments: