Friday, November 13, 2009

Reading Dilemma

It seems that I do my best thinking in the scant minutes before I a fall asleep; that in between place where you are neither awake nor asleep. Generally I find that I think of something amazing, but the next morning it's gone, but this past night I found that I actually remembered some of my thoughts. Actually it may just be that I've thought on this problem for a while now, either way, it comes down to whether or not it's worth the time to re-read books/series again or not.

There are a lot of pros and cons for each, but honestly I find myself stuck. I've read a lot of amazing books and series before, many of which are worth reading multiple times, but yet it comes down to being overwhelmed by the options. Working in a book store really opens your eyes to all thats out there, sure intellectually I always knew there were lots and lots of books, but seeing the thousands of titles that come out over the months really gets to you. So the choice is this, do I fall back and read what I know is good? Or do I take that risk, that leap of faith if you will, and try out these new books? It really is a risk in the sense that I could spend time reading and finishing a book only to realize that it was complete rubbish! That time spent on that book is gone forever after that, it's regret, sadness, and pure rage all at the same time, but yet to only read books I've read before would be stupid. It's what's killing the church, and what plagues every religion: stagnation. Indeed had I only read what I read before I would not be nearly as well read as I am now--this is why some people only read the bible they don't wanna risk reading good fiction--so its a balance. Sure. Easy to say, but I'm still stuck with the idea of if it's actually worth re-reading books I've fallen in love with before.

Since starting this blog, I haven't re-read any books, but in the past I have. I've read all the Harry Potter books twice except the last one, I've read Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master several times, as well as a few of the Anne Rice books, plus Tolkein, so it's not like I'm truly opposed to the idea, it's that I'm afraid of missing out on books I haven't read. This is really quite frustrating because with school and work I hardly have enough time to read in general, should I really be reading things again? But they're SO GOOD. *sigh* I've also put myself into a bit of a corner because before I used to only buy books when I needed a new one, so if I finished one and didn't have anything else I'd pick up one I'd read before, but now working at a bookstore I have a stack of freaking books to read on my shelf! Not to mention in my line of work I am practically bombared with suggestions and recommendations on what to read next! If only I was a vampire I would have so much more time, or hell if I didn't have to sleep, blast you body, you are so limiting! Okay, well, I feel that there are some series that are must reads, and as such, must re-reads. Generally speaking if the book is grand enough, you'll find new things with each time you read it, so there are benefits. But should I only re-read novels? Or should I re-read entire series? Well you can't just stop after reading The Fellowship of the Ring, so I'm going to say that I should go big or go home!

Now that that's cleared up, I think I'll make a list of some books/series I should re-read, because as much as I'd like to re-read every book I've ever enjoyed, there are just too many. So here's a list:

Science Fiction
  • The Dune Series by Frank Herbert
  • The "Enderverse" by Orson Scott Card -- This one is unique in regards to the fact that Card is still writing for this universe and since my memory isn't what it used to be (and of course the books are fucking amazing) I think it would be beneficial to go through these again.
  • Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
  • The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
Fantasy
  • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist -- Again this is another unique one because, like Card, Feist is still writing this saga. As of this year there are 26 books out with 4 forthcoming. 30 books, that's more than half a year in what I'm averaging so far so reading them would probably be a year long event. Yet.. Feist is honestly my favorite fantasy author, and ALL of his books are so good. Now I haven't read 6 of those 26 since they're side books, but my logic is to wait until the entire series is done and done and then just sit down for a Feist marathon. We'll see though.
  • The Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn
  • Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss -- He just needs to finish this series, I'm already going to have to re-read the first book just to know wtf is going on with the second when it comes out.
Fiction
  • The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice -- Now I'm not sure if I'll read the entire series again because she went all religious and shitty the last couple books, but the first few for sure.
  • Chuck Palahniuk, mainly Fight Club, Survivor, and Choke
  • Dystopian favorites: 1984, Anthem, A Brave New World, and We
  • Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving

For now I think that's good, I know I should put more of the classics up, Steinbeck and the like, but I feel like those are still too fresh in my mind, not to mention dry. I know I will eventually, but for the purposes of this blog I'll leave them out. I'd also like to say that if you need a good book in the three above genres you wouldn't be wrong to pick up one of the ones I mentioned. Speaking of which I think I'll write another Ry Recommends in the near future. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Kimberley said...

Well, I'm not exactly the best person to weigh in on a topic like this, but I think that you should re-read books/series that you enjoyed in the past. You have watched and re-watched movies and TV shows that you enjoy, so how is it any different with books? True, there are plenty of newer titles coming out that could prove to be just as (if not more!) enjoyable, but there's nothing wrong with going back to an "old friend" and enjoying it for a second or third time. Especially considering that the more time you spend on re-reading the books, the more you will be able to pick up on the little details that you may have missed on your first time through, thus making the book even more enjoyable!

So there's my thought... but I understand how you can feel overwhelmed by the options, so just make sure you do what makes you happiest :)

Love <3

Diego said...

I reread some of my favorites almost annually. Im ok with that. It serves to remind me why theyre my favorites.

I do recommend taking the leap into other stuff though. I still read stuff from my favorite genres but if I had not taken that leap (it was an issue for me when I started at a book store as well) I would not have discovered new favorites or realized that I actually enjoy genres that I didnt think I would.

Besides, over specialization is slow death. Branching out will give you a better understanding of not only the world you live in but the people who populate it. Sure there are some things youll wish you hadnt wasted the time reading, but when you find the ones that you would have otherwise missed, youll find its worth the trade off I think.